Saturday, August 2, 2014

What Do I Tell Him About Sex?



You could say I lucked out in the kid department: having a boy is supposed to shield me from pubescent nightmares that are usually associated with the fairer sex, but as Maddex gets older, more and more the scary topics become closer and closer to a reality.  In a comical way, I am looking forward to having "The Talk"! Making Maddex super uncomfortable, ensuring that he will be retelling the moment to his future therapist, is actually a thought that brings a smile to my face (I never claimed to be a good mother), but the actual content of this talk is something I have just recently been considering.

Do I do what my parents did and completely ignore the subject; fitting in a "don't do it" here and there as though it was casual conversation?

Do I sit him down with a priest to tell him all about the sins of the flesh?

Or do I tell him what I actually think? Which is this:

Sex is a beautiful act of humanity, and it is nothing to be ashamed of.  That being said, there are consequences that he will need to think about and be prepared for before he considers taking that step in his life. The big three: Pregnancy, STDs, and of course to always consider that a girls feelings are more complex then he will ever realize.  I can guard my son from unplanned pregnancy.  I can scare him into practicing safe sex with blown up pictures of Genital Warts and Herpes.  But how can I get him to understand that once he experiences the act with a girl, she and him will be forever changed?

I still remember what it felt like to be a teenager.  The sad truth is that no matter what I say to him he will do whatever he want wants, and all I can do is put in my two cents before he develops his own ideas.  So I better get there early.  And from what I am hearing from the youngsters these days, kids start getting physical earlier and earlier.  (Enter freak-out moment here)

Do you have kids? Do you want kids? Do you have any ideas about what you will tell them regarding sex when they reach the age of sexual maturity??

1 comment:

  1. I don't have any children. When and if I have children I plan on telling them to wait until they are in love. I think it is unrealistic to expect kids to wait until marriage. I think letting them know that it will change him and the girl is a good idea. As well as letting him know about the safety risks. Not so much to scare him out of it but obviously that is something kids need to know.

    ReplyDelete